The perfect sweet treat stuffed with chocolate, bananas, and oats!
Let’s be honest: this muffin is filled and topped with tons of rich chocolate, but also has some merit! It’s stuffed with healthy ingredients like bananas, oats, coconut oil, and even whole wheat flour! Life is about balance, right?? This muffin is the pinnacle of everything in moderation. And even chocolate has health benefits! So, there, I give you permission to make these, eat all nine in two days, and feel great about it!
I took a gazillion pictures of these muffins because they are just so beautiful and tasty! Just looking at these pictures makes me a tiny bit sad because I made these last week and I have no more in my kitchen (because, duh, you are going to just devour these – just like I did!) It’s definitely time to whip up another batch again. They take just 30 minutes and most of us will have all the ingredients already in our kitchens.
These muffins are rich, sweet, and filling with the just-right extra taste of banana and oats. They’re a dessert and a breakfast all in one. A bressert? A deakfast?
Just researched: Apparently, deakfast is a realish thing. It is breakfast for dinner, not dessert and breakfast. But you could 100% have one of these beauties for dinner and then it would totally be a deakfast – by all meanings of the word!
These muffins are over-the-top amazing! Cute muffin liners just make these even more enticing! Throw a batch together and indulge just a bit!
Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins
Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 9 large muffins
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup freckled bananas, mashed
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
A pinch of salt
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners, silicone liners, or grease each cup with butter or oil.
- Combine the coconut oil, bananas, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir just until combined. Fold in the oats and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Divide into nine muffin cups and fill each cup all the way to the top.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean of crumbs. Watch carefully. Remove from oven when ready and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a microwave proof bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and the butter. Carefully heat until completely melted by microwaving on high ten seconds at a time. Stir between heating. Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate mixture generously over each muffin – just go for it! And they’re done! Keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 days or in the refrigerator for one week. But let’s be honest, they’re not going to last that long!
Note: I test my recipes where I live (high altitude!) so the muffins may likely cook slightly different at low altitudes. Just watch your muffins carefully to avoid overcooking or undercooking. This goes for all of my recipes! (Also, all ovens are a little different – so it is a good rule to always watch carefully!)
If you try these, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with #mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.