How to make easy, colorful, and fun summer rolls!
You got a sneak peek at these gorgeous summer rolls on Tuesday and I’m excited today to share the recipe with you! Plus, I’ll give you a quick tutorial on how to make those rice papers work for you and not against you!
Summer rolls are SO customizable – you can use all sorts of different ingredients in them! Practically any veggie and I’ve seen some recently with fruit in them too, which also sounds amazing (maybe a post later to come!) But today, I’m sharing my favorite veggie combination for summer rolls!
Wrapped in rice paper, you’re going to put carrots, cucumber, bean sprouts, spring mix lettuce, and bell peppers – an amazing crisp, crunchy combination! The carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers you’re going to julienne, which means you’re going to cut them into thin, long pieces. This makes the veggies pretty, helps them fit well in the rice paper, and also makes them easier to bite! (I mean, you don’t want have to gnaw on a huge, round carrot in your summer roll!)
Alright, here’s the rundown on rice papers:
- Fill a large bowl or pan with warm water.
- Place one rice paper at a time in the bowl. Make sure all parts of it are moistened and allow to soak for about 15 seconds, until malleable. It should be able to fold and bend without snapping, very flexible. But be careful not to leave in for so long they begin to easily tear.
- Lay out flat on a clean surface and place your veggies in a bunch at the bottom third of the rice paper. Roll the bottom portion above the veggies, then roll the entire roll towards the top, tucking in the sides before the last roll.
It takes some practice, but I promise it is surprisingly easy to make these work! Give it your best, practice your rolling technique, and you’re going get better and better!
And you’re gonna need some rocking awesome sauce to dip these in — obviously my Easy Peanut Dipping Sauce!
- 1 package rice paper
- 4 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 cups spring mix lettuce
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and julienned
- 1 bell pepper, seeds removed and julienned
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Easy Peanut Dipping Sauce (see archives)
- Prepare your veggies.
- Wet your first rice paper and lay on a clean surface. Fill with a good amount of veggies, for example, 3 carrot pieces, 2 cucumber pieces, 2 bell pepper pieces, 5 bean sprouts, and a few pieces of lettuce. Add more as desired; a full summer roll looks best.
- Serve with Easy Peanut Dipping Sauce!
If you try these, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with#mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.