A super quick, easy dish made with your favorite, south-of-the-border ingredients
I could sing about how easy, easy, peasy this dish is! A little bit of chopping, a little bit of can-opening, some stirring, and you can dig in! You can have this ready in 20 minutes – now, that is a quick dinner! As far as weeknight dinners go, this is one of my favorites! This recipe was adapted from a family friend’s version which is absolutely excellent. I simplified the directions, added some extra, hearty ingredients like pinto beans, and, for a little more heat, more jalapeños.
With lots of protein in the black beans, pinto beans, and ground beef and tons of veggies like bell peppers and tomatoes, this dish is a complete meal in one big skillet. I love to make it on a Monday night and enjoy a delicious lunch of these great leftovers for the next couple days! And you are so welcome to go crazy with the toppings! I certainly do! The dish is so packed with flavor that it really doesn’t need anything on top, but I can’t turn down a chance to indulge in some sour cream and extra sharp cheddar cheese – yum!!
You could add extra jalapeños, peppers, some cilantro, or mix in a generous amount of brown rice! I love that this dish is so easy to customize. Prefer a more spicy meal? Mix in some extra jalapeños, serrano peppers, cayenne pepper, or even a couple tablespoons of hot sauce! Like your meal more toned down? Leave out the chili powder and dollop some sour cream on top! Eating vegetarian? Leave out the ground beef and replace it with cooked quinoa, farro, or rice! Gluten-free? Make recipe as is and you are set!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a white onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (29-ounce can) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce can) pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce can) black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Optional: 2 cups cooked brown rice (stir in right before serving)
- Optional toppings: shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, extra sliced jalapeños, etc.
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain and set aside.
- While cooking the beef, warm the olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat (yay! just one dirty pan!). Add the onion, peppers, and jalapeños and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are soften and onions are translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add the cooked ground beef, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, black beans, cumin, and chili powder to the large pot. Cook for an additional 5 minutes and serve! Top with cheese, cilantro, sour cream, or extra jalapeños and peppers. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or bean chips!
If you try these, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with #mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.