The perfect fall treat!
I got a fall treat for y’all today that begs to be made on a blustery, chilly day – and that is the BEST type of food to enjoy in October! These muffins have some serious fall flavors going on and the three superstars in it are: honeycrisp apples, oat streusel topping, and CHAI.
I had no idea you could just make chai spice. I guess I thought you’d have to do something weird with a chai tea bag to tap into that amazing flavor, but actually it’s so very simple! Four spices. You mix ’em together. And you have chai spice. The two spices you probably already have in your kitchen are ginger and cinnamon – YUM. And you might have the other two: cardamom and allspice. I didn’t have those already (so sad), but I’m so happy to have them on hand now because I know I will use them often! I’m all about chai in everything now and I love it.
These muffins also have a chopped honeycrisp apple in it – my very favorite type of apple! And this oat streusel topping is SO good. You could leave the topping off, if you’d like, but it only takes a few extra minutes to throw it together and I think the topping is worth it because:
- It’s pretty
- It makes the muffin more chai-y
- It’s made with four ingredients
- It’ll take you three minutes
In the end, after 15 easy minutes of prep, you’ve got yourself 12 ultra soft, super fluffy muffins. They’re sweetly spiced with chai, they’re basically autumn wrapped up in a cute muffin, and they’re the fall treat you’re going to want to share with all your friends!
Share these apple chai spice muffins with your friends/co-workers/family/children and they will LOVE them and LOVE you! Give ’em a shot – they won’t disappoint!
- For the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar mixture
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- For the muffins:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-muffin tin with butter or line with paper muffin liners.
- Make the sugar mixture: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, and ginger. Set aside.
- Make the streusel topping: In a small bowl, mix together the oats, 1 teaspoon flour, 2 Tablespoons of the sugar mixture, and the melted butter until combined. Set aside.
- Make the muffins: In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, sour cream, and milk (best if all of these ingredients are at room temperature). Gently fold in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture (you’ll be left with a bit of sugar mixture that we don’t need here, top the muffins after baking with them or use for something else yummy). Carefully mix until completely combined. Fold in the apple.
- Pour the muffin batter into the muffin tin, until each tin is filled about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the muffins. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes clean of crumbs.
These muffins are inspired by Sally’s Easy Chai Spice Donuts. Her recipe is fantastic, and I remixed them into muffins, intensified the chai flavor, and added apple and an oat streusel topping!
If you try this apple chai spice muffins, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with #mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.